EASTBIO DTP invites applications for BBSRC-funded PhD studentships for a start in autumn 2019.
Closing date for applications: 5 December 2018
Before you apply, please read carefully the information below. Email EASTBIO if you have further queries about the application/recruitment process.
General information on how to apply
Applications for EASTBIO studentships are invited from excellent UK* students for projects available across the Doctoral Training Partnership. To be eligible, you must either have or expect to obtain a 1st or a 2.1 undergraduate degree and fulfill the residency criteria. For further details on student eligibility, please check here - esp. sections "Student eligibility" (p. 5) & "Annex 1 – Residential guidelines for Research Council Studentships" (pp. 17-21). Email EASTBIO if you have any questions on eligibility for this scheme.
To apply for an EASTBIO PhD studentship, follow the instructions below:
1) Check the EASTBIO website for available projects and contact potential supervisors before you apply (please note that the first name mentioned in the project description is the lead supervisor).
2) After you have discussed the project(s) of interest to you with the project supervisor(s), download and fill in the EASTBIO Application Form.
If you are nominated by the supervisor(s) of the EASTBIO PhD project you wish to apply for, we will ask them to provide a signed Support Statment in support of your application.
3) Fill in the EASTBIO Reference Form. It is your responsibility to ensure that the two referees you name in your application are committed to send their references when asked by the EASTBIO administrator and/or the institution you have applied to.
4) Use the links listed below to apply to the institution(s) hosting the project(s) of your choice. Make sure you submit the EASTBIO Application Form together with the other documentation required as part of your application (online or not).
If you are interested in several projects which are hosted by different institutions, you will need to submit a separate application (including the EASTBIO Application form) to each host institution hosting the project you are interested in.
Links to application pages of universities hosting EASTBIO projects:
University of Aberdeen - Application link
University of Dundee - Apply now
University of Edinburgh, School of Biological Sciences
University of Edinburgh, School of Chemistry
University of Edinburgh, College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine (sent your application documentation via email) - Application link
University of St Andrews - Application link
If you are shortlisted by the EASTBIO selection committee, you will be invited to attend an EASTBIO interview. We will also contact your referees at that point, if their references have not already been submitted at application stage.
The EASTBIO interviews will be held during the week beginning 28 January 2019. Details about the interviews will be published here in due time.
* Some EU applicants may be eligible, if you meet Research Council residency criteria. Please read the information on the link provided above.