DTP3 Thematic Collaborative training in 2020-2021 is structured around 5 key themes of strategic importance for UKRI BBSRC, details below. Please check this page for updates on the the schedules per each group.
- Clean growth (within Bioscience for renewable resources) - Schedule 2020-21
- Session 1 - Biology at the extremes - 8 December 2020, 10:00-16:00
- Session 2 - Synthetic Biology: DIY-level innovation - 9 February 2021, 10:00-16:00
- Session 3 - From fundamental research to translational opportunities: Translating discoveries in industry - 15 April 2021
- Session 4 - New enzymes: Nature vs. synthetic - 8 June 2021, 9:30-15:45
- Crops and soil (within Bioscience for sustainable agriculture and food) - Schedule 2020-21
- Session 1 - Sustainable diets - 8 December 2020, 9:00-14:15
- Session 2 - Omics and Bioinformatics Approaches in Crop Protection - 26 February 2021, 9:15-14:00
- Session 3 - Remote sensing for Agriculture - 23 April 2021, 9:00am–14:15pm
- Session 4 - Industry perspectives on agricultural challenges - 25 June 2021, 10:00-16:00
- Livestock and aquaculture (within Bioscience for sustainable agriculture and food – this encompasses Livestock, Production Biology, Health and Aquaculture) - Schedule 2020-21
- Session 1 - Alternative Meat - 11 December 2020, 12:00-16:30
- Session 2 - Climate Change - 26 February 2021, 9:30-14:00
- Session 3 - The effect of Covid-19 on Livestock farming and research - 22 & 23 April 2021, 9:30-12:40
- Session 4 - The Impact of Brexit on Livestock and Aquaculture in the UK - 10 June 2021, 10:00-14:00
- Integrated understanding of health - Schedule 2020-21 (draft)
- Session 1 - Coding for Biologists - 13 January 2021, 12:00-17:00
- Session 2 - Using animal models in research - 19 February 2021, 10:00-16:00
- Session 3 - Use of AI in the sciences: where are we headed? An interactive workshop - 9 April 2021, 10:00-15:30 (poster)
- Session 4 - Science Communication/Public engagement - 25 June 2021, 10:00-16:00
- Understanding the rules of life - Schedule 2020-21
Session 2 - Deep Learning for Dummies - 11 February 2021, 9:30-16:30
Session 3 - Life with cell walls – Fungi, Flora, Food and Health
- 19 April 2021, 9:30-3:30
Session 4 - COVID-19 & bullsh*t - 24 June 2021, 9:30-16:00
Quick Guide about this online training:
- Mandatory -- we expect all first-year students to attend 4 thematic sessions during year 1 and actively engage in its planning and delivery; each session counts towards 10 training points.
- Not ready-wear -- the alternating 4 sessions (December-February-April-June) are led by local supervisory teams, rotating across the partnership; dates and host teams are confirmed at the Induction; final schedules to be confirmed at least one month before the session by the host team.
- Planning -- each session is hosted and planned by a local team (student and supervisor); EASTBIO central and local administrators provide logistical help, as needed.
- Past training -- for information only; past choices should not limit the new cohort's plans.
- Feedback -- each year we review this training and feed recommendations into plans for the following year.
For details of this year's plans, please read the section "Research Skills Subject-specific Theoretical Training" and Appendix 2 - Thematic training guidance at the Handbook. Each thematic group has convened at the Induction (8 October) and agreed on the hosts and topics to be covered in the 4 annual meetings of each group. Second-year students are expected to attend one of the 4 meetings.
Email EASTBIO if you have any queries about this training.