Thematic Research Skills training
EASTBIO student projects starting in 2018-2019 are designed around 5 key research themes:
Details of which research theme students belong to and how the thematic discussion groups operate were given at Induction Day on 3 October 2018.
During this training, you will take part in 4 face-to-face meetings taking place every two months at different locations across the partnership, starting in December 2018. These meetings will be based on group discussions, presentations, literature review, facilities tours, etc., aiming to introduce challenges, questions and tools that are key in students' theme-specific research area and to develop critical reading skills. The thematic groups will also provide students with an excellent opportunity to get to know other EASTBIO students and supervisors working in complementary research areas, to share expertise and establish collaborations.
Attendance at each meeting carries 10 training points (a total of 40 points if attending all four). First-year students are expected to attend at least three of the four meetings in their first year of study. Invitations for each meeting are sent to second-year students too, who are expected to attend at least one out of the four annual meetings and make significant contribution to proceedings.
Programming details will be published below, following the EASTBIO Induction Day. Please check this page regularly for updates. Students and supervisors are contacted separately by each meeting organisers and EASTBIO with information about the programme and the details of each meeting. Guidance will be provided at the Induction break-out session.
For examples and details of past thematic training (2015-2018), see here.
Training Schedule 2017-2018 by priority area - Please check this page regularly for updates. We hope to publish basic details after the Induction and update with detailed schedules shortly after.
AFS first meeting - "Industry/stakeholder perspectives on food security challenges" - 4 December 2018, 10:45-16:00 - Edinburgh, King's Buidlings, Hudson Beare Building, Classroom 6 - Schedule (provisional)
AFS second meeting - "Genome Engineering" - 26 February 2019, 10:30-15:30 - Aberdeen, , PGR Centre (Crombie Halls), Room A04 - Schedule
AFS third meeting - "Food security & developing countries post Brexit" - April 2019 - Dundee - Schedule TBC
AFS fourth meeting - "Modelling, big data and bioinformatics" - June 2019 - Aberdeen - Schedule TBC
- BfH first meeting - “Fundamental <-> translational research” - 5 December, 10:30 (11:00 start)-15:00 - St Andrews, Bute Building (room C28) - Schedule; further information
- BfH second meeting schedule - “A visual bend to science communication” - 27 February 2019, 10:00-16:30 - Dundee, CTIR - Schedule here.
- BfH third meeting schedule - "Healthy Ageing" - April 2019 - Edinburgh - Schedule TBC
- BfHfourth meeting schedule - "Sex matters" - June 2019 - Aberdeen- Schedule TBC
- IBB first meeting - "Enzymatic catalysis" - 4 December 2018 - St Andrews, Purdie Building - Schedule
- IBB second meeting - "Synthetic Biology for Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy" - 28 February 2019, 10:30-15:30 - Edinburgh, King's Buildings - Schedule
- IBB third meeting - Topic - April 2019 - St Andrews - Schedule TBC
- IBB fourth meeting - Topic - June 2019 - Dundee - Schedule TBC
- WCUB first meeting - “Lies, damn lies, and statistics: A crisis in reproducibility?” - 10 December 2018, 10:00-15:00 - Edinburgh (Ashworth, Honours Room 1 TBC, King's Buildings) - Schedule TBC
- WCUB second meeting - “Science communication and public engagement” - 13 February 2019, 9:30 (10:00 start)-15:00 - Edinburgh, Little France, Chancellors Building, Room FU224 – NRIE UoE Seminar Room 3 (Chancellors Building, 1st floor) - Schedule.
- WCUB third meeting - “Vision/camaflage” - April 2019 - St Andrews - Schedule TBC
- WCUB fourth meeting - “Multidisciplinary approaches” - June 2019 - Dundee- Schedule TBC
Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning (AI/ML) (NEW)
2018-19 (in progress) schedule here.
- AI/ML first meeting - “Intro to ML and Neural Networks” - 14 December 2018, 10:00 (10:30 start)-17:30 - Edinburgh, King's Buildings, Room G.69, Joseph Black Building - Schedule
- AI/ML second meeting schedule - “Bayesian Learning” - 22 February 2019, 8:15 (start 10:30)-17:00 - Edinburgh, King's Buildings, JCMB - 4325D (Computer Lab) - Schedule
- AI/ML third meeting schedule - Topic TBC - April 2019 - Edinburgh - Schedule TBC
- AI/ML fourth meeting schedule - “Deep Learning” - June 2019 - Aberdeen- Schedule TBC