Thematic Research Skills training
EASTBIO student projects starting in 2018-2019 are designed around 5 key research themes:
Details of which research theme students belong to and how the thematic discussion groups operate are given at Induction Day on 3 October 2018.
During this training, students take part in 4 face-to-face meetings taking place every two months at different locations across the partnership, starting in December 2018. These meetings are based on group discussions, presentations, literature review, facilities tours, etc., aiming to introduce challenges, questions and tools that are key in students' theme-specific research area and to develop critical reading skills. The thematic groups also provide students with an excellent opportunity to get to know other EASTBIO students and supervisors working in complementary research areas, to share expertise and establish collaborations.
Attendance at each meeting carries 10 training points (a total of 40 points if attending all four). First-year students are expected to attend at least three of the four meetings in their first year of study. Invitations for each meeting are sent to second-year students too, who are expected to attend at least one out of the four annual meetings and make significant contributions to proceedings.
Programming details folow below below, and are the result of discussions that start at the EASTBIO Induction Day. Please check this page regularly for programming updates. Students and supervisors are contacted separately by each meeting organisers and EASTBIO, with information about the programme and the details of each meeting. Guidance is provided at the Induction break-out session.
For examples and details of past thematic training (2015-2018), see here.
Training Schedule 2018-2019 by priority area - Please check this page regularly for updates.
AFS first meeting - "Industry/stakeholder perspectives on food security challenges" - 4 December 2018, 10:45-16:00 - Edinburgh, King's Buidlings, Hudson Beare Building, Classroom 6 - Schedule (provisional)
AFS second meeting - "Genome Engineering" - 26 February 2019, 10:30-15:30 - Aberdeen, PGR Centre (Crombie Halls), Room A04 - Schedule
AFS third meeting - "Food security in developing countries" - 15 April 2019, 10:30-15:30 - Dundee, Sir Kenneth and Lady Noreen Murray Seminar Room, Life Sciences building - Schedule
AFS fourth meeting - "Modelling, big data and bioinformatics" - 28 June 2019, 10:30-17:00 - Aberdeen, Level 5 Boardroom, Rowett Institute for Nutrition and Health - Schedule
- BfH first meeting - “Fundamental <-> translational research” - 5 December, 10:30 (11:00 start)-15:00 - St Andrews, Bute Building (room C28) - Schedule; further information
- BfH second meeting - “A visual bend to science communication” - 27 February 2019, 10:00-16:30 - Dundee, CTIR - Schedule here.
- BfH third meeting - "Healthy Ageing" - 4 April 2019 - Edinburgh, The Outreach Centre, B1.11 - Schedule
- BfH fourth meeting - "Sex matters" - 28 June 2019, 10:30-16:00 - Aberdeen, Institute of Medical Sciences, Foresterhill - Schedule.
- IBB first meeting - "Enzymatic catalysis" - 4 December 2018 - St Andrews, Purdie Building - Schedule
- IBB second meeting - "Synthetic Biology for Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy" - 28 February 2019, 10:30-15:30 - Edinburgh, King's Buildings - Schedule
- IBB third meeting - "Industrial Biotechnology and its applications" - 26 April 2019, 11:30-16:00 - St Andrews, Purdie Building - Schedule.
- IBB fourth meeting, jointly with the WCUB group - "Mental health during PhDs" - 5 July 2019, 10:30-15:30 - Dundee, CTIR - Schedule
- WCUB first meeting - “Lies, damn lies, and statistics: A crisis in reproducibility?” - 10 December 2018, 10:00-15:00 - Edinburgh (Ashworth, Honours Room 1 TBC, King's Buildings) - Schedule.
- WCUB second meeting - “Science communication and public engagement” - 13 February 2019, 9:30 (10:00 start)-15:00 - Edinburgh, Little France, Chancellors Building, Room FU224 – NRIE UoE Seminar Room 3 (Chancellors Building, 1st floor) - Schedule.
- WCUB third meeting - “How we see the world: Introduction to vision and camouflage” - 12 April 2019 - St Andrews - Schedule.
- WCUB fourth meeting, jointly with the IBB group - "Mental health during PhDs" - 5 July 2019, 10:30-15:30 - Dundee, CTIR - Schedule. Please notice the guidance provided in the summary.
- AI/ML first meeting - “Intro to ML and Neural Networks” - 14 December 2018, 10:00 (10:30 start)-17:30 - Edinburgh, King's Buildings, Room G.69, Joseph Black Building - Schedule
- AI/ML second meeting schedule - “Bayesian Learning” - 22 February 2019, 8:15 (start 10:30)-17:00 - Edinburgh, King's Buildings, JCMB - 4325D (Computer Lab) - Schedule
- AI/ML third meeting schedule - "Biological and biomedical AI/ML approaches" - 20 May 2019, 10:30 (11:00 start)-15:30 - Edinburgh, King's Buildings, Hudson Beare Building - Classroom 7 - Schedule.
- AI/ML fourth meeting schedule - “Deep Learning” - 26 June 2019, 10:30-16:45 - Aberdeen, Zoology Building, Room ZB18- Schedule.