EASTBIO student projects starting in 2018-2019 are designed around 5 key research themes:
During this training, students take part in 4 face-to-face meetings taking place every two months at different locations across the partnership, starting in December 2018. These meetings are based on group discussions, presentations, literature review, facilities tours, etc., aiming to introduce challenges, questions and tools that are key in students' theme-specific research area and to develop critical reading skills. The thematic groups also provide students with an excellent opportunity to get to know other EASTBIO students and supervisors working in complementary research areas, to share expertise and establish collaborations.
Attendance at each meeting carries 10 training points (a total of 40 points if attending all four). First-year students are expected to attend at least three of the four meetings in their first year of study.
Training Schedule 2018-2019 by priority area
AFS first meeting - "Industry/stakeholder perspectives on food security challenges" - 4 December 2018 - Edinburgh, King's Buidlings, Hudson Beare Building, Classroom 6 - Schedule (provisional)
AFS second meeting - "Genome Engineering" - 26 February 2019 - Aberdeen, PGR Centre (Crombie Halls), Room A04 - Schedule
AFS third meeting - "Food security in developing countries" - 15 April 2019 - Dundee, Sir Kenneth and Lady Noreen Murray Seminar Room, Life Sciences building - Schedule
AFS fourth meeting - "Modelling, big data and bioinformatics" - 28 June 2019 - Aberdeen, Level 5 Boardroom, Rowett Institute for Nutrition and Health - Schedule
- BfH first meeting - “Fundamental vs. translational research” - 5 December - St Andrews, Bute Building (room C28) - Schedule; further information
- BfH second meeting - “A visual bend to science communication” - 27 February 2019 - Dundee, CTIR - Schedule here.
- BfH third meeting - "Healthy Ageing" - 4 April 2019 - Edinburgh, The Outreach Centre, B1.11 - Schedule
- BfH fourth meeting - "Sex matters" - 28 June 2019 - Aberdeen, Institute of Medical Sciences, Foresterhill - Schedule.
- IBB first meeting - "Enzymatic catalysis" - 4 December 2018 - St Andrews, Purdie Building - Schedule
- IBB second meeting - "Synthetic Biology for Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy" - 28 February 2019 - Edinburgh, King's Buildings - Schedule
- IBB third meeting - "Industrial Biotechnology and its applications" - 26 April 2019 - St Andrews, Purdie Building - Schedule.
- IBB fourth meeting, jointly with the WCUB group - "Mental health during PhDs" - 5 July 2019 - Dundee, CTIR - Schedule
- WCUB first meeting - “Lies, damn lies, and statistics: A crisis in reproducibility?” - 10 December 2018 - Edinburgh (Ashworth, Honours Room 1 TBC, King's Buildings) - Schedule.
- WCUB second meeting - “Science communication and public engagement” - 13 February 2019 - Edinburgh, Little France, Chancellors Building - Schedule.
- WCUB third meeting - “How we see the world: Introduction to vision and camouflage” - 12 April 2019 - St Andrews - Schedule.
- WCUB fourth meeting, jointly with the IBB group - "Mental health during PhDs" - 5 July 2019 - Dundee, CTIR - Schedule.
- AI/ML first meeting - “Intro to ML and Neural Networks” - 14 December 2018 - Edinburgh, King's Buildings, Room G.69, Joseph Black Building - Schedule
- AI/ML second meeting schedule - “Bayesian Learning” - 22 February 2019 - Edinburgh, King's Buildings, JCMB - 4325D (Computer Lab) - Schedule
- AI/ML third meeting schedule - "Biological and biomedical AI/ML approaches" - 20 May 2019 - Edinburgh, King's Buildings, Hudson Beare Building - Classroom 7 - Schedule.
- AI/ML fourth meeting schedule - “Deep Learning” - 26 June 2019 - Aberdeen, Zoology Building, Room ZB18- Schedule.
Past thematic training: